“Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, never owned a do” is one of my favorite quotes! It suits me perfectly! Sure, everyone loves a little bling, but there is nothing better than the love of your dog on a long, tough day…or any day, for that matter!
I got Oakley in July of 2011…and we spent our 10th summer together this year! He was the most adorable little guy when I met him and knew immediately that he belonged to me. I also know, he knew immediately that I belonged to him! He grew quick…and as any typical lab, he got real messy real quick also! At one point, my friends even joked that he actually was a “meth lab” and would send me crazy pictures of dogs that looked like him to show me the comparison.
Yes, he ate a window sill, a few pair of shoes, and even my best bra…but each time he did something he knew he shouldn’t, he would look at me with those loving eyes and I had to forgive him immediately!
Not only has he been there for me on my good and bad days, we have been through a lot together. We moved 1,100 miles away, and back, together. He has been with me through random boyfriends…and soon I realized that he certainly is the best man in my life!
I highly recommend a pet companion for anyone…but I also say, do your research and be prepared. He has been such a blessing to me, but pets are a lot of work…and a “lifetime” of commitment. Here are a few tips I would give anyone looking for their best fur friend!
- Determine what breed of dog/type of animal fits your lifestyle. I spend many hours at work and I had to really consider how I would meet Oakley’s needs and work commitments. It is not easy. I have days where I have to sacrifice social events because he has been left alone all day. Just choose what is best for you.
- I chose to get a pit bull mix…even with all the controversy that surrounds the breed. I will tell you, it has not always been easy. He has a lot of anxiety and doesn’t do well with other animals…so I have to deal with that, especially as he could be stronger than other animals and cause damage. Again, just do your due diligence and research to find what works best for you.
- Vet bills….they can be no joke! My guy has skin allergies, so besides the expensive dog food he requires each month, I spend about $100 monthly for his medicine. He is also getting older, and being a larger dog, has some hip problems…again another monthly expense. I am fortunately enough to be able to afford these costs, but not everyone is. Plan wisely.
- Training is a must. I don’t know where I would be without the support of my doggy kindergarten group that helped me ensure he knew how to walk properly, learned his manners, and listens when I give direction. There is nothing worse than a dog that can’t do these things….and people do watch!
- Must love dogs (animals)….who remembers that movie? But so true! If you are not in it for the long haul, not committed to giving your pet the BEST life ever, not ready to sacrifice….I don’t recommend the commitment. They will love you forever and they deserve to live their best life! You can make this happen for a pet! But if that is not your goal, please don’t take the first step!
I have always had a dog…and I want to say that with each one in my life, I have learned to be a better and better pet parent. I cannot tell you how much I love this beautiful boy! You can find this also…just be sure you want the commitment. I will say, however, nothing is better than puppy kisses on any given day! Stay tuned my friends!